Jon M. Hughes is a partner with McMickle, Kurey & Branch, LLP. Jon’s primary area of practice is civil litigation. He regularly litigates insurance coverage cases throughout the United States, serving as national counsel for several insurers. In addition to his significant insurance coverage practice, Jon also represents both defendants and plaintiffs in a wide variety of matters involving, among other issues, personal injury, fraud, bad faith and business disputes. He also regularly counsels clients on insurance and indemnity issues and risk management.
Prior to joining McMickle, Kurey & Branch, LLP in 2012, Jon practiced law in Birmingham, Alabama for twelve years. He also worked as an insurance adjuster with North Carolina Farm Bureau Mutual Insurance Company prior to attending law school.
Jon lives in Johns Creek, Georgia with his wife, Amy, and three daughters. He is an active member of Mount Pisgah United Methodist Church, where he serves in the Men’s Ministry and Student Ministry, leading a middle school boys small group. Jon’s interests include whichever of the many sports and activities his daughters are engaged in at the moment. When time permits, he loves to spend time outdoors hiking, backpacking, fly fishing and playing golf.
Areas Of Practice
- Insurance Coverage Litigation 50%
- Alabama, 1999
- Georgia, 2012
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama
- J.D. - 1999
- Honors: cum laude
- Honors: Dean's List
- UNC Asheville, Asheville, North Carolina
- B.S. - 1995
- Major: Management
- Cordell Hull Teaching Fellow
- Charter Oak Fire Ins. Co. v. Hovlik, 2017 WL 6060600 , D.N.M.
- Miller v. Northland Ins. Co., 2014 WL 1715076, Tenn. Ct. App.
- McComb v. National Casualty Co., 994 F. Supp. 2d 918, N.D. Ill.
- Northland Ins. Co. v. Top Rank Trucking, 2013 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 130961, M.D. Fla.
- H&S Homes, LLC v. McDonald, 978 So. 2d 692, Ala. Supreme Court
- Shrader v. Employers Mutual Casualty Co., 907 So. 2d 1026, 2005, Ala.
- Insurance & Indemnity for Transactional Lawyers, Birmingham Bar Association, 2009 to 2009
- Legal Issues & Answers for Church Planters, Developing Churches Network, 2006 to 2006
- The Effect of Additional Insured Endorsements, Cumberland Continuing Legal Education, 2005 to 2005
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Alabama State Bar, 1999 to Present
- Georgia State Bar, 2012 to Present
Past Employment Positions
- Kee & Selby, LLP, Associate/Partner, 2000 to 2011
- Spain & Gillon, LLC, Associate, 1999 to 2000
- Sigma Nu